Mavericks is a monster of a superpipe: 18’ (5.4m) walls, 56’ (17m) wide, 22’ (6.7m) transitions, 500’ (152m) long and manicured by the Zaugg monster cutter! Steamboat's terrain park, serviced exclusively by its own chairlift, features terrain for all ability levels spread over 11.8 acres/4.7 hectares, an outdoor sound system, professional designed rails as well as Mini-Mavs, a miniature version of the superpipe with 10’ walls, perfect for novice riders.
The resort’s Ambassador staff offers Free Mountain Tours every day at 10:30am. Intermediate and advanced skiers and riders are welcome and tours last about an hour and a half. Learn everything you want to know about the mountain, the resort, the Yampa Valley and its history. Just show up at the "Mountain Tour" sign at the top of the Vagabond Trail (top of the gondola) and look for our bright yellow jackets.
Thunderhead Food Court
On the 3rd floor of the upper gondola terminal, the Thunderhead Food Court offers a variety of lunch choices including: healthy entrees, salad bar, burgers, pizza & snacks. The Sundeck BBQ offers expansive outdoor seating and breathtaking views.
Rendezvous Food Court
Located halfway down High Noon, the Rendezvous Saddle offers two floors of lunch choices. The upper loft level features Mexican specialties and pizza, while the main level provides pasta, stews, salad bar, sandwiches, soups, burgers and potato bar. The Sundeck BBQ is northwest Colorado’s most popular “beach” resort.
4 Points Hut
Located atop the Four Points Lift on Storm Peak, the Four Points Hut is the ideal place for a quick stop to warm up with chili, soup, hot dogs, full line of Pepsi drinks, draft beer, cappuccino and snacks from 9:15am to 3:30pm. If it’s one of those beautiful Colorado bluebird days, then sit back and enjoy the outdoor BBQ with a view as far as the eye can see.
This base area bistro offers more than just specialty coffee drinks. Gondola Joe’s, the hottest bistro in Gondola Square, offers pipin’ hot cappuccino, latte, espresso, coffee, ice coffee drinks, hot cocoa, frozen yogurt & ice cream, baked goods, breakfast burritos, soup, custom-built sandwiches, chili, smoothies, soft drinks and so much more.
Bear River Bar & Grill
The Bear River Bar & Grill is the ideal place for lunch or après-ski relaxing. In the heart of Gondola Square, The Bear features indoor and outdoor seating, including nearly 6,000-sq. ft. patio deck overlooking the base area. Finish each day on the mountain with happy hour specials from our friends at Budweiser as well as enjoy live après-ski music throughout the season.
Colour grooming maps are produced every morning. This useful tool shows the trails that have been groomed overnight as well as the daily weather, snow conditions, when the half pipe is cut and whether or not Billy Kidd or Nelson Carmichael are skiing today. The grooming report is available at several convenient locations around the mountain
Mountain related Awards
SKI Magazine-Top 60 Resorts Issue
- #1 Family Resort in the West, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003
- #9 Resort in North America, Oct. 2006
- #11 Resort in North America, Oct. 2005
- #10 Resort in North America, Oct. 2004
Conde Nast Traveler’s
- Top 20 Ski Resorts in North America-#12, December 2006
- Best North American Ski Resorts, Winter 2005
- #10, Top Resort for Snow, Oct. 2006
- #1, Top Ten Ski Getaways, Nov. 2006
- Best Eats in the American West, Nov. 5, 2006, Ragnar’s
Mountain Living Magazine-Best of High Country
- Best Kids’ Ski School, January 2007
- Best Ski Resort, Reader’s Pick, January 2007
- Best Family Destination-Orbitz Staff Insider Pick, Nov. 2005 & 2006
- Top U.S. Ski Destinations-Steamboat #3 in West, The Orbitz Insider Index, Nov. 2005
- Top U.S. Ski Destinations-Steamboat #5, The Orbitz Insider Index, Nov. 2006
Sports Illustrated for Kids
- Top Ten Kid Friendly Winter Vacation Getaway
Miami Herald Magazine
- Ski Slope Superlatives-Beyond Powder, Best for Families-Steamboat, Nov. 5 2006
Travel Arts Syndicate
- Ski Slope Superlatives, Best for Families-Steamboat, Nov. 2006
- America’s Top 10 Halfpipes, (#6), March 5, 2007
- Top 10 Superpipes, January 2005
- Top 5 Resorts with Rad Parks and Pipes for Skiers and Snowboarders-Steamboat #4, Sept. 2006
Ft. Collins Weekly
- Best Ski Slopes, October 18, 2006
Kids N’ Snow Website
- Charming Holiday Destinations, November 2006
National Ski Areas Association-Environmental Awards
- 2003 Silver Eagle Award for Stakeholder Relations-Finalist
- 2002 Silver Eagle Award for Environmental Education-Winner
- 2000 Silver Eagle Award for Area Visual Impacts-Finalist
National Ski Areas Association-Safety Awards
- 2004 National Kid's Safety Poster Contest National Winner
- 2001 National Kid’s Safety Poster Contest National Winner
United States Forest Service
- Regional Forester Honor Award, December 13, 2006
- Pioneered the industry leading Kids Ski Free program in 1982 and Kids Fly Free in 2001.
- Produced more Olympians than any other town in North America, a record 69 and counting.
- Hosted 1st International Winter Special Olympics, February 1977
- Term Champagne Powder® snow was coined in Steamboat and still is the only place you’ll find this type of snow.
- Steamboat is home to the best tree skiing and riding in the United States.
- Steamboat’s Kids Ski FreeÔ program, the first of its kind, was created in 1982 setting the pace for other programs designed to bring the sport of skiing to the family.
- Steamboat has the closest major airport of any ski resort in Colorado or Utah. The Steamboat/Hayden Airport is just 22 miles/35kms west of the resort.
- Steamboat Springs is home to the first ski area in Colorado, Howelsen Hill, which began operating in 1914.
Conde Nast Traveler’s
- Top 50 Ski Hotels in North America-#31, December 2006
- Top 50 Ski Hotels in North America-#23, December 2005
- 700 Best Places to Stay in the World-Reserve Property, January 2005